Ezinne Osuagwu: Makeup or Makedown – Are We “Making Up” for Self-Deficiencies?

dreamstime_african-american-woman-putting-on-makeup-lipgloss-with-compact-mirrorI get a lot of comments about my makeup; in fact, someone talked to me about simplicity and made a jab at us makeup loving women who spend time beautifying our faces. He opined that we wore makeup to “make up” for certain deficiencies, or maybe because we felt incomplete.
He found it unnecessary and felt we women should gravitate towards a simpler look. He said “I mean it’s called makeup right? So surely you’re making up for something? Do you feel incomplete?” he asked me.
I started to ask myself, why do I wear makeup? I have no problem going to work without makeup on (the last time I did though, my boss thought it was a sign of frustration and asked if I wanted to resign.)
I’m actually very comfortable in my skin, though I think my tummy could be flatter and my bank account could be bigger; maybe my edges could grow a little fuller, and my car could be grander….
As human beings, we always strive for perfection; it’s only natural to want to do better, want to look better, want to be better. Some want it more than others obviously, but everyone wants it, right?
For me, makeup is just an accessory to make my clothes look better and make my hair fit better and make my face look… you know, fleeker! I’m not making up for any deficiencies. I love every inch of me, but I want to be better.  Let’s even quote the Bible…remember the parable of the talents? How can God give me 5 talents and I’ll give him 5 back? Mbanu!
There’s a big difference between contentment and complacency, and wearing makeup doesn’t mean you are not content with your looks. It does not mean trying at all to be anything more than what you are is the beginning of complacency. If wearing makeup means, to anyone, that I’m not content in my own skin, then so be it!
Why do you wear makeup? And what do you think of women who wear a lot of makeup?

No comments: